Are you searching for a book unit that will engage your students in the novel Underground to Canada by Barbara Smucker? Check out this cross-curricular resource full of novel activities to use as a full class novel study which can also easily be adapted for literature circles or independent reading. In this resource, you’ll find tons of reading and writing tasks that will help students sharpen their literacy skills.
This 60+ page resource includes relevant website links and a bibliography of similar picture books and novels. Help your students delve deeply into the lives of the two young main characters, Julilly and Liza, who attempt to escape slavery using the underground railroad. This is a story your students are sure to never forget!
→ What’s Included?
- Frontloading Activities (Tea Party – with Quotations and/or Pictures; Round Robin Monologue;
- Writing (Horoscopes; Last Will & Testament; Poetry/Choral Montage)
- Drama (Telling Tales; Advice to Mr. Lincoln)
- Comprehension (1 Multiple Choice & 1 Open Response Question per chapter; 19 sets of questions in all!)
- Music (The Music of the Underground Railroad)
- Vocabulary (Crossword Puzzle)
✪ Want a FREE Canadian Government Flipbook? Click here to get the free resource just for signing up for my email list!