Communities in Canada, Past and Present: Part 5 – A Land of Many Perspectives is the fifth part of a full unit bundle to support the Grade 6 Ontario Social Studies unit of the same name. This FRENCH version provides lesson plans in English, while student texts and tasks are in French. Each part is sold as a separate resource, as well as being part of a bundle found here.
This resource supports students as they learn about the many different perspectives that community issues involve. They will identify, analyse and evaluate perspectives on issues in the following communities:
• The immigrant community of Winnipeg during the Great Depression
• Present-day Attawapiskat and other Northern Canadian communities
• The Japanese-Canadian community during World War II
• The community of Africvile, Nova Scotia during the 20th century
Students will participate in a series of debates on controversial topics within these communities, identifying opposing perspectives as they challenge one another. They will also gather and evaluate primary and secondary source material to assist them as they look at these issues from multiple points of view.
➁ Introduction of Debate Topics
➂ Different Kinds of Evidence
➃ Debate Planning
➄ Debate Day
➅ Unsung Community Heroes
➆ Inquiry Task: Telephone Script
This 30-page unit contains:
• Resource overview
• Key learning goal
• Student-friendly texts
• Lesson plans
• Citizenship Activities: Community Role Models
• Graphic organizers
• Unit Inquiry Task with rubric
Click here to subscribe to my email list; you’ll be the first to learn of my new resources!