Interactions of Indigenous Peoples and Europeans Prior to 1713 Part 2: Explorers and First Contact is a Grade 5-7 social studies unit created to support student learning about the early origins of this country. This inquiry-based unit, which meets the revised 2018 Ontario Ministry of Education Social Studies curriculum for Grade 5, provides a variety of activities meant to allow students to explore the motivations behind the early explorations in North America, the explorers’ interactions with the Indigenous people, and the beginnings of New France.
TEACHERS WHO HAVE USED THIS PRODUCT HAVE SAID:
♥ “This is a wonderful unit. The lessons and activities are well planned. I like the graphic organizers and answer examples.” (Thanks, Massive Rally)
♥ “I love your resources! They are so thorough and easy to follow! Love how specific you are about the curriculum expectations that are covered in the lessons. Your resources save me so much time!, thank you!” (Thanks, Lisa H.)
♥ “This works perfectly with some of the British Columbia curriculum as well! It is so easy to follow and additional resource suggestions are greatly appreciated!” (Thanks, Jennifer M.)
PLEASE NOTE: This unit was revised in July 2020 to provide a more streamlined resource for teachers and students.
ALSO on April 5, 2020 the student texts and tasks were uploaded as a new Google Slides resource available for purchase in my store. Check it out here:
Indigenous Peoples and Europeans Part 2: Explorers and First Contact – For Google Slides/Classroom. This is perfect for distance learning or for students requiring IEP accommodations.
Topics Covered Include:
- Cause & Consequence
- Explorers in the Age of Discovery
- Early Explorers: Motivation, Obstacles, & Achievements
- Jacques Cartier & Samuel de Champlain
- First Contact: Trade
- First Contact: Religion and Culture
- Early Contact: Through an Artist’s Eyes
Students will be engaged in exploring maps, evaluating the motives and behaviour of the early explorers, and considering the various perspectives of the explorers and Indigenous Peoples.
Please note that some lessons involve video clips from the following documentary and movie:
- Canada: A People’s History: (links to online episodes are provided.) Your school will likely have either DVD or VHS copies of “Canada: A People’s History” as well.
- The Black Robe: You may want to either purchase a copy OR borrow it from your municipal library system. As of the last revision (March 2020) I was able to find a working link for this movie (which I included), but links change frequently!
Please Note: This particular resource is only one of five mini-units that are available separately as well as in a bundle at a reduced price in my store.
Blended Split-Grade Units:
Printable AND Digital:
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches by subscribing to my email list!