This digital Ontario Grade 5/6 Social Studies: Strand A Heritage and Identity unit is meant to support the 2018 provincial curriculum. This resource has been created for use with Google Slides/Classroom (TM), and is perfect for distance learning and/or IEP accommodations.
NOTE: This digital version of the unit is also available in pdf format from my TPT store. Check it out here:
Ontario Grade 5/6 Social Studies: Strand A Heritage and Identity
This is a COMBINED grade unit, meaning that it has been carefully created to blend the key expectations so that teachers are able to teach one lesson to both grades. Fourteen lessons are included in this resource, with each lesson taking either 1 or 2 class periods to complete. Particular attention has been paid to Canada’s First Nations, Metis and Inuit communities, to reflect the recommendations in the 2015 Truth & Reconciliation Report.
The two grade level strands covered in this unit are:
►Grade 5: Interactions of Indigenous Peoples and Europeans Prior to 1713
►Grade 6: Communities in Canada, Past and Present
Students will be exploring a wide range of topics and communities, from Indigenous life before the arrival of Europeans in North America, to the current communities of Attawapiskat and Winnipeg. Other topics include:
►Eastern Woodlands Indigenous Peoples
►Explorers to North America
►The Fur Trade
►Japanese Canadian Community of World War II
►Africville, Nova Scotia
►Elliot Lake, Ontario
►Early Inuit Life
Altogether, this resource provides up to 22 days of lessons, depending upon how you decide to implement the unit.
Included in this resource are:
- Teacher Instruction Booklet (in pdf format)
- Grade-Level Appropriate Student Text
- Learning Goals created from the “big ideas” of the Ontario curriculum
- Wide Variety of Student Tasks
- Answer Keys
1. What is the Canadian Identity?
2. How Do the Features of a Community Contribute to Its Identity?
3. Why Do People Live in Certain Communities?
4. Where Have Canada’s Indigenous Peoples Lived?
5. What Are Treaty Territories?
6. What Are Primary and Secondary Sources?
7. How Do Maps Show Patterns & Trends?
8. What Are Interrelationships?
9. How Have Canadians Solved Problems?
10. What Makes an Event Significant?
11. What are Causes and Consequences?
12. Why Do People Have Different Perspectives?
13. Whose Perspectives Are Loudest?
14. Metis and Inuit Peoples
⭐⭐⭐Please carefully examine the preview file provided above before purchasing.⭐⭐⭐
Frequently Asked Questions:
What will I need to assign this resource to my students?
You will require:
❶ Access to the internet
❷ A Google Drive Account
I already own your original Grade 5 Strand A Social Studies bundle. Why should I consider purchasing this digital version?
✔The digital resources completely align with the regular units. This makes it extremely easy to meet IEP accommodations for specific students with little effort on your part.
✔ The digital resources are paperless, which is perfect if your school administrator is asking you to cut down on photocopying!
✔ The saturated, full-colour interactive slides are engaging for students.
✔ It’s easy to implement with distance learning.
✔ It’s just fun to use!
Why can’t I find a Strand B (Canada’s Interactions with the Global Community) in Google Slides in your store?
I am currently updating the topics in my original version of Strand B. Once that update is complete, I will also be creating a Google Slides version for my store.
Can I edit this resource?
I have left 95% of the texts in editable form for two reasons:
➀ to ensure that students are able to use Google Read & Write with the activities.
➁ to allow teachers to edit texts and tasks when they feel it suitable for their class or to address IEP accommodations for specific students.
How do I collect student work?
Your students will simply complete their own copies of the lessons, and turn it into your platform (ie. Google Classroom).
I have additional questions. Can I email you directly?
Yes, you are welcome to email me directly at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
As always, you can use the Q & A section on any of my product pages to reach me as well.
• Canadian Bell Work for Grade 5/6
• Canadian Mapping – Types of Maps Chat Stations
• Communities in Canada Bundle – Ontario Social Studies Grade 6
• Interactions of Indigenous Peoples and Europeans Word Wall
• Ontario Gr. 5 Social Studies Strand A: Heritage and Identity Bundle
• Ontario Grade 5/6 Strand B People & Environments – Grade 6 Supplement
There are no reviews yet.