Are you teaching social studies to a Grade 4 class in Ontario? Do you need some flexibility to use both printable and digital resources? You will love this Early Societies to 1500 CE Printable + Digital Bundle! This unit is packed with lesson plans, activities, and assessment tools that bring this curriculum strand alive! This resource also includes printable student workbooks/digital student slide decks for the following 6 ancient civilizations:
★ Ancient China
★ Ancient Egypt
★ Ancient Greece
★ Early Anishinaabe
★ Early Canadian Inuit
★ Medieval England
- Twelve 3-part lesson plans
- Digital Version: 7 Slide Decks (1 Teacher + 6 Student) and an Instruction Booklet
- Early Society Workbooks (one per society) in printable version
- Early Society Slide Decks (one per society) in digital version
- Student-Friendly Texts and Tasks
- Big Ideas Posters
- Chat Stations
- Answer Keys and Rubric
- Culminating Task
Unit Format: While modeling with a look at the early Aztecs, the teacher guides students through an exploration of six other different societies. After the introductory lessons, students work in “Expert Groups” using their particular early society workbook or slide deck containing text and follow-up tasks. Each group focuses on a different early society, bringing their learning back each day to share with the class in Knowledge Building Circles. This structure allows students to compare and contrast these societies, as well as to consider the primary sources that make their learning possible.
Students celebrate their learning with the culminating task, which is an Early Societies Museum. Each student creates an artifact and/or a booklet about an important item or event from the society he or she learned about in their expert group. Inviting parents or other classes to visit the museum will provide students with an exciting, real-world opportunity to share what they have learned about ancient civilizations!
- How Do We Learn About the Past?
- How Does the Local Environment Affect a Society?
- How Do Maps Help Us Learn About a Society?
- How Does the Environment Shape a Society?
- How Were People Organized?
- What Were Homes Like?
- What Were Families Like?
- What Work Did People Do?
- How Did People Learn and Have Fun?
- What Did People Believe?
- How Did People Get Around
- What Legacies Did Early Societies Leave?
Please Note: This resource downloads as a compressed zip file containing the main unit and the six workbooks. If you do not know how to unzip a file, you can learn how to do so with this YouTube video: