Peuples autochtones et europeens partie 4: Le commerce des fourrures is a digital distance learning resource (created for use with Google Slides/Classroom™️) intended to support French Immersion teachers with the 2018 Ontario Social Studies Curriculum. (This Strand A unit used to be called ).
- This Part 4 resource is also available as part of a full-strand bundle here:
2. This Part 4 resource is also available as an “English Only” version found here:
The activities allow students to explore the choices available to the people of New France, the relationships amongst those involved in the fur trade, and alliances made between specific Indigenous Peoples and the French and English fur trading companies.
This digital resource allows students to:
- use Google Read & Write to listen to texts
- type responses directly into the file
- access hyperlinks to relevant websites and videos
In addition, there are supplementary sections on the residential school system and modern day issues, to reflect the recommendations of the 2015 Truth and Reconciliation Commission Report.
Students will be engaged in:
- creating lists of “pros and cons” to help evaluate the choices available to young men already in New France, and the Filles du Roi pondering a move to the new colony.
- evaluating whether the move to New France and participation in the fur trade actually solved the problems for which the colony was created.
- using a graphic organizer to clearly see the alliances between specific Indigenous groups, the French and the English
- learning about the Baymen and Voyageurs who worked for the French and English fur trading companie
On November 2, 2020 I added in an additional Part 5 unit to this resource. As this bonus file does not particularly lend itself to a digital format as well as the other parts, I’ve chosen simply to include it as a “freebie” with Part 4 (AND with the bundle).
Frequently Asked Questions:
What will I need to assign this resource to my students?
You will require:
❶ Access to the internet
❷ A Google Drive Account
I already own your original First Nations & Europeans Part 4 resource. Why should I consider purchasing this digital version?
✔The digital resources completely align with the regular units. This makes it extremely easy to meet IEP accommodations for specific students with little effort on your part.
✔ The digital resources are paperless, which is perfect if your school administrator is asking you to cut down on photocopying!
✔ The saturated, full-colour interactive slides are engaging for students.
✔ It’s easy to implement with distance learning.
✔ It’s just fun to use!
Can I edit this resource?
I have left 95% of the texts in editable form for two reasons:
➀ to ensure that students are able to use Google Read & Write with the activities.
➁ to allow teachers to edit texts and tasks when they feel it suitable for their class or to address IEP accommodations for specific students.