Peuples autochtones et Européens Parti 2: Premiers contacts is a Grade 5-7 social studies unit created to support student learning about the early origins of this country. This inquiry-based unit, which meets the revised 2018 Ontario Ministry of Education Social Studies curriculum for Grade 5, provides a variety of activities meant to allow students to explore the motivations behind the early explorations in North America, the explorers’ interactions with the Indigenous people, and the beginnings of New France.
⭐⭐This French Immersion version of the unit contains all student texts and tasks in French, while lessons plans remain in English to reduce the cost of translation, keeping the cost down for teachers!⭐⭐
PLEASE NOTE: This unit was revised in January 2021 to provide a more streamlined resource for teachers and students.
This Part 2 resource is also available as a Google Slides resource available for purchase in my store. Check it out here:
This is perfect for distance learning or for students requiring IEP accommodations.
Topics Covered Include:
- Cause & Consequence
- Explorers in the Age of Discovery
- Early Explorers: Motivation, Obstacles, & Achievements
- Jacques Cartier & Samuel de Champlain
- First Contact: Trade
- First Contact: Religion and Culture
- Early Contact: Through an Artist’s Eyes
Students will be engaged in exploring maps, evaluating the motives and behaviour of the early explorers, and considering the various perspectives of the explorers and Indigenous Peoples. Please note that some lessons involve video clips from the following documentary and movie, and that if you purchased this unit prior to January 20, 2021 you will want to reload the most recent version.
- Canada: A People’s History: (links to online episodes are provided.) Your school will likely have either DVD or VHS copies of “Canada: A People’s History” as well.
- The Black Robe: You may want to either purchase a copy OR borrow it from your municipal library system. As of the last revision (March 2020) I was able to find a working link for this movie (which I included), but links change frequently!
Please Note: This particular resource is only one of five mini-units that are available separately as well as in a bundle at a reduced price in my store.
Blended Split-Grade Units:
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches by subscribing to my email list!